Secondary Mathematics Teacher
Essential Job Functions
- Developing lesson plans in the relevant subject area and grade, and ensuring all lessons align with curriculum objectives.
- Drawing up classroom rules and safety regulations and ensuring all students understand them.
- Using a range of teaching materials and methods to deliver content.
- Providing additional support and interventions for struggling students and extra resources to those who are ahead of the class.
- Preparing students for tests, exams, presentations, experiments, and other assessments.
- Grading assessments and providing feedback and reports to students and parents.
- Attending staff and parent meetings to provide helpful recommendations or voice concerns.
- Establishing rapport and professional relationships with students, staff, and parents.
- Supervising students in class, during events, and on field trips.
- Monitoring students’ overall wellbeing and liaising with school counselors and other staff members when there are concerns or issues.
- Attending ongoing learning initiatives like workshops, lectures, conferences, and other events where you are able to expand education networks.
General Job Functions
- Thorough understanding of pedagogy and the best practices of education.
- Desire to teach middle school-aged children and ability to adapt to their developmental status.
- Ability to design lessons that teach curriculum in an engaging manner, applying various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, demonstrations, and individual or collaborative projects and research.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills to manage and control the classroom.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to maintain professionalism and tact in high-stress situations.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Creative analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Education or related subject required; Master’s degree preferred. State teaching license required. Previous teaching experience with high-school aged children preferred.
Minimum Qualifications or Standards Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Knowledge of the methods, policies, procedures and activities of Virtus Academy which pertain to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position
- Knowledge of the records, forms and reports which must be prepared and maintained
- Knowledge of the materials and information which must be prepared for classroom instructional activities
- Ability to supervise students and maintain order in various classroom and instructional activities and situations
- Ability to operate general office equipment in the performance of daily activities
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as the classroom teacher, other teachers, administrators, other school staff, students, parents, volunteers and the general public
- Conducts duties in a school environment with some exposure to environmental conditions
- Requires ability to work under a degree of stress related to duties that require constant attention and working with students
- Physical demands include walking or standing and lifting/moving of items related to the job on a recurring basis
- Occasional local travel is required; overnight travel is not required
- Job requires the operation of standard office equipment
- Responsible for the supervision of students in the classroom and in out-of-classroom activities during the school day
- Responsible for classroom materials and supplies
- Responsible for completing assigned work within the deadlines in accordance with directives, policy, standards and prescribed procedures
- Responsible for attending and remaining at work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures regarding attendance, absenteeism and tardiness, providing adequate notice to administration with respect to vacation time and leave requests
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the school’s policy on evaluation of certified personnel.