Middle Level Mathematics Teacher
Essential Job Functions
- Plans and develops an engaging, age-appropriate course of study in the classroom, adhering to educational best practices and state and school district curriculum guidelines.
- Designs and presents individual lesson plans in one or more academic subjects using a variety of teaching techniques that appeal to various learning styles and methods.
- Prepares materials for lessons, assignments, and tests; evaluates, corrects, and grades student performance.
- Discusses academic difficulties or behavioral problems with students as they arise.
- Monitors students’ progress throughout the year and evaluates preparedness for high school.
- Communicates all progress and concerns with tact and professionalism to parents and, as appropriate, other faculty, staff, and/or principal.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with parents.
- Enforces safety and security standards for students, staff, and visitors.
- Maintains required paperwork for individual student files, attendance and incident reports, and other necessary records.
- Monitors halls, study periods, and lunchrooms with other faculty and staff.
- Participates in faculty meetings, educational conferences, in-service opportunities, workshops, and other training seminars.
- Maintains knowledge of research, developments, and best practices in middle grade education.
- Performs related tasks such as sponsoring student activities or organizations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
General Job Functions
- Thorough understanding of pedagogy and the best practices of education.
- Desire to teach middle school-aged children and ability to adapt to their developmental status.
- Ability to design lessons that teach curriculum in an engaging manner, applying various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, demonstrations, and individual or collaborative projects and research.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills to manage and control the classroom.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to maintain professionalism and tact in high-stress situations.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Creative analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Education or related subject required; Master’s degree preferred. State teaching license required. Previous teaching experience with middle-school aged children preferred.
Minimum Qualifications or Standards Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Knowledge of the methods, policies, procedures and activities of Virtus Academy which pertain to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position
- Knowledge of the records, forms and reports which must be prepared and maintained
- Knowledge of the materials and information which must be prepared for classroom instructional activities
- Ability to supervise students and maintain order in various classroom and instructional activities and situations
- Ability to operate general office equipment in the performance of daily activities
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as the classroom teacher, other teachers, administrators, other school staff, students, parents, volunteers and the general public
- Conducts duties in a school environment with some exposure to environmental conditions
- Requires ability to work under a degree of stress related to duties that require constant attention and working with students
- Physical demands include walking or standing and lifting/moving of items related to the job on a recurring basis
- Occasional local travel is required; overnight travel is not required
- Job requires the operation of standard office equipment
- Responsible for the supervision of students in the classroom and in out-of-classroom activities during the school day
- Responsible for classroom materials and supplies
- Responsible for completing assigned work within the deadlines in accordance with directives, policy, standards and prescribed procedures
- Responsible for attending and remaining at work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures regarding attendance, absenteeism and tardiness, providing adequate notice to administration with respect to vacation time and leave requests
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the school’s policy on evaluation of certified personnel.