Essential Job Functions
- Inspect school on a regular basis to ensure a safe and desirable condition for learning
- Performs a variety of basic custodial, maintenance and groundskeeping functions, following established regulations and standards for cleanliness and safety. Duties may include, but are not limited to, cleaning restrooms, hallways, classrooms, offices, cafeteria and other areas of the school building; removing trash; sanitizing surfaces; sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, and buffing floors; cleaning windows and walls; moving furniture; dusting; restocking soap and paper towel/tissue dispensers; and removing trash from grounds.
- Arranges furnishings and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparation for meetings, classroom activities, and events
- May be required to respond to emergency calls or secure building
- Operates a variety of equipment which may include a floor buffer, carpet cleaner, vacuum, sweeper, wet vac, hand and power tools, cleaning equipment and tools, leaf blower, etc.
- Exercises care and safety in the use of equipment and tools required to complete assigned tasks. Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals, such as the immediate supervisor, coworkers, school staff, students, etc.
- Attends in-service training (e.g., instruction on blood-borne pathogens, cleaning solvents, floor care, first aid, etc.) for the purpose of receiving information on new and/or improved procedures
- Performs light maintenance duties, including changing light fixtures, moving furniture, performing minor repairs to equipment, etc.
- Lifts up to 30 pounds unassisted for the purpose of lifting equipment necessary to complete assigned tasks
- Keep supervisor informed of potential problems or unusual events
- Prepare all required reports and maintain all appropriate records
- Unlocks /secures building and rooms
- Ensure that safety practices are followed
- Performs related duties as required
General Job Functions
- Is punctual and maintains regular attendance
- Has the ability to plan, organize and prioritize daily assignments and work activities
- Maintains a clean and orderly work environment
- Assists in upholding and enforcing school rules, administrative regulations, and board policies
- Keeps abreast of changes in school policies and students’ needs and interests
- Participates in school staff development programs as assigned by the Principal
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals (such as parents, staff, students, school administrators, service providers and the general public)
- Performs routine administrative/office tasks as required, including but not limited to preparing reports and correspondences, copying and filing documents, answering the telephone, sending and receiving faxes and emails, entering and retrieving computer data, etc.
- Recognizes and follows the appropriate procedures in the “chain of command” as designated by board policies and/or administrative procedures
- Presents a positive image of Virtus Academy at all times
- Willingly performs other related duties as assigned
Education and Experience
Requires a high school diploma or GED with a minimum of six months experience in custodial, building maintenance or general labor.
Minimum Qualifications or Standards Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Knowledge of the methods, policies, procedures and activities of Virtus Academy which pertain to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position
- Knowledge of the records, forms and reports which must be prepared and maintained
- Knowledge of the laws, ordinances, standards and safety precautions pertaining to the specific duties of the position
- Knowledge of proper maintenance of equipment, materials and supplies used in daily activities
- Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instruction
- Ability to operate general office equipment in the performance of daily activities
- Ability to effectively communicate activities of the job using the mechanics of standard English
- Maintains an enthusiastic, self-reliant and self-starting approach to meeting job functions
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Strives to anticipate work to be accomplished and initiates proper and acceptable actions for the completion of work with a minimum of supervision and instruction
- Conducts duties in a school environment with some exposure to environmental conditions
- Requires ability to work under a degree of stress related to duties that require constant attention and working with students
- Physical demands include walking or standing and lifting/moving of items related to the job on a recurring basis
- Responsible for completing assigned work within the deadlines in accordance with directives, policy, standards and prescribed procedures
- Responsible for attending and remaining at work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures regarding attendance, absenteeism and tardiness, providing adequate notice to administration with respect to vacation time and leave requests