Essential Job Functions
- Manage all building staff and provides general supervision to students. 3. Assign teachers to classrooms and students to classes.
- Create a master schedule to effectively utilize available resources.
- Facilitate in-service training/professional development for staff 6. Supervise extra-curricular activities
- Create and encourage a building vision.
- Direct the staff in addressing the needs of all students through differentiated instruction.
- Work with district personnel to coordinate processes for the effective functioning of the school.
- Work to assure the appropriate programming for special needs/at-risk students.
- Determines staffing needs and submits recommendations to the Principal.
- Assist teachers with implementation of effective teaching strategies and classroom management.
- Assist teachers with the interpretation and application of assessment data to ensure student mastery of the essential elements.
- Ensure that team planning and team teaching are effective, appropriate components of the learning program.
- Deal consistently and equitably with all personnel.
- Anticipate, manage, and resolve conflict effectively and in a timely manner.
- Work to establish a feeling of pride and school spirit among students, staff, and community.
- Collaborate, clarify, and pursue the fulfillment of the mission statement and charter goals.
- Utilize appropriate information systems and records necessary for attainment of campus performance objectives.
- Identify, analyze, and apply research to facilitate school improvement.
- Use evaluation processes and procedures appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Define, delegate, and communicate duties, responsibilities, and functions effectively.
- Comply with applicable personnel procedures, policies, statues, and rules.
- Interview, select, and orient new staff effectively and in accordance with applicable personnel procedures, policies, statutes, and rules.
- Make educationally and legally sound recommendations relative to personnel placement, transfer, retention, and dismissal.
- Schedule activities effectively and manage resources needed to accomplish goals.
- Ensure that school rules are observed uniformly and that consequences of misconduct are applied equitably to all students.
- Conduct conferences with parents, students, and teachers concerning vital issues.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
- Demonstrate visibility to parents, teachers and students during school day, before and after school, and at co-curricular activities.
- Demonstrate an awareness of school-community needs and initiate activities to meet those identified needs.
- Use appropriate and effective techniques for community and parent involvement.
General Job Functions
- Provides an atmosphere conducive to learning and teaching
- Is punctual and maintains regular attendance
- Has the ability to plan, organize and prioritize daily assignments and work activities
- Maintains a clean and orderly work environment
- Upholds and enforces school rules, administrative regulations, and board policies.
- Recognizes and follows the appropriate procedures in the “chain of command” as designated by board policies and/or administrative procedures
- Operates a variety of equipment such as a computer, printer, typewriter, two-way radio, telephone, calculator, etc.
- Presents a positive image of Virtus Academy at all times
- Willingly performs other related duties as assigned
Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in educational administration or applicable content area Certification: Principal certification (must hold a valid South Carolina principal certification); minimum three years experience as a classroom teacher and two years experience in educational leadership; Experience in educational innovation, personalized and project based learning preferred.
- Conducts duties in a school environment with some exposure to environmental conditions
- Requires ability to work under a degree of stress related to duties that require constant attention and working with students
- Physical demands include walking or standing and lifting/moving of items related to the job on a recurring basis
- Occasional local travel is required; occasional overnight travel is required
- Job requires the operation of standard office equipment
Minimum Qualifications or Standards Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Knowledge of the methods, policies, procedures and activities of Virtus Academy which pertain to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position
- Knowledge in the development, planning, organization, implementation and management of instructional programs and practices designed to meet educational objectives and requirements
- Knowledge of the standards, regulations, and laws relating to educational activities
- Knows how to keep abreast of changes in policy, standards, procedures, and regulations pertinent to the school and in keeping with best administrative practices in general
- Knowledge of the records, forms and reports which must be prepared and maintained
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with school and district staff
- Ability to instruct others through explanation, demonstration and supervised practice, and/or make recommendations on the basis of technical disciplines
- Ability to complete, process, and maintain required records, reports, and other information
- Ability to develop and maintain effective communications with school and district employees, and the general public
- Ability to operate general office equipment in the performance of daily activities
- Ability to effectively communicate activities of the job using the mechanics of standard English
- Maintains an enthusiastic, self-reliant and self-starting approach to meeting job functions
- Strives to anticipate work to be accomplished and initiates proper and acceptable actions for the completion of work with a minimum of supervision and instruction
Supervise and evaluate the performance of all employees assigned to the building.